What do you do when you get in a car accident and when should you contact a personal injury attorney?
Follow these six steps to a smoother process to handle an accident.
- Make sure that you are okay and any passengers in your vehicle.
- Call Nine-one-one (911).
- If it is safe to go outside, take pictures of your vehicle or the other vehicle, or vehicles, involved in the accident.
- Obtain all the insurance information of the other drivers involved in the car accident.
- If you are in pain, seek medical treatment.
- Contact a personal injury attorney before you make any statements to the insurance companies. Any statements you make to the insurance companies can be used in a subsequent lawsuit, that is why it’s important to have an experienced attorney to make the claim for you.
How long do you have to seek medical treatment?
In Florida, you have 14 days to seek medical treatment, and the reason being is under the PIP statute, which stands for personal injury protection. The law requires that in order for your benefits to give rise, you have 14 days to see a doctor.
What is bodily injury coverage?
What bodily injury coverage does is it protects you if you have caused an accident and injured the other passenger, or passengers, in the vehicle.
How do you get compensated for your pain and suffering in an automobile accident?
Florida is a no fault state. What that means is that regardless of whether or not you are at fault in the accident, you are entitled to personal injury protection benefits. Personal injury protection benefits will pay up to $10,000 of your reasonable medical bills that were associated from a car accident.
Do you need a personal injury attorney for your automobile accident?
The answer to that question is YES.